Wiki Hammertoe/Metatarsal head excision help

Best answers
Provider states he performed left foot hammertoe repair on 2nd, 3rd and 5th (28285) and then metatarsal head excision on 2nd 3rd, 4th and 5th (28114). I am having a hard time coding this one. I don't see a proximal phalangectomy documented here. And it sort of looks connected. I am new to podiatry. Any help is appreciated.

Attention was then turned to the lesser toes where transverse incisions were made over the PIP

joints of the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th toes. The 4th toe had been partially amputated and appeared

adequately aligned. The joint was resected with a sagittal saw. The flexor tendon identified

through the dorsal incision and cut. This was done for the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th toes. Once this was

done, attention was turned to the MTP joints where a longitudinal incision was made in the 2-3

interspace and in the 4-5 interspace. Dissection was carried down to the level of the extensor

tendons. The extensor tendons were lengthened between the longus and brevis. Once this was

done, a McGlamry elevator was used to release the plantar tissues after a transverse capsulotomy

was performed for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th metatarsophalangeal joints. The sagittal saw was

then used to resect each of the metatarsal heads in an oblique cut. The metatarsal heads were

then resected. Once this was done, attention was turned to fixation. The K-wires were placed

across the PIP joints and then retrograded through the proximal phalanx and into the metatarsal

shaft. Fluoroscopy was used to assess pin placement and alignment. The 3rd ray K-wire was

found to be intramedullary distally but then exited more proximally, but excellent fixation and

alignment was achieved and therefore it was left in place. The pins were cut and capped.

Wounds were copiously irrigated with normal saline. Extensor tendons were repaired with 2-0

Vicryl.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong. I am reading that the doctor did hammertoe corrections 2,3 and 5 and met head resections on 2,3,4 and 5?
That would be 28285 x 3 with appropriate T modifiers, and 28114 for the met head excisions with LT or RT and 51 59 modifiers where appropriate.

Last edited:
I see the excision of the metatarsal heads of 2,3 4 and 5. But I don't see where he did the proximal phalangectomy for those toes. In the beginning I see he said he resected the PIP joint of the 2nd, 3rd or 5th toes. But wouldn't that be part of the 28285?

I see the excision of the metatarsal heads of 2,3 4 and 5. But I don't see where he did the proximal phalangectomy for those toes. In the beginning I see he said he resected the PIP joint of the 2nd, 3rd or 5th toes. But wouldn't that be part of the 28285?
What he says he did and what he documented are definitely two different things. He documents flexor tenotomy 2,3,5 and joint resection of the 4th. A tenotomy, can "correct" a hammertoe, but a 28285 it is not, a 28285 requires documentation of bone and tissue work and a tenotomy is included, but did he do bone work? He also documents met head resections 28114.
Honestly, this op report is not clear enough. It should go back to the provider for amending. If he did hammertoe corrections it needs to state the detail of what he did to each bone and where and each tendon. Sorry for the back and forth, busy at the office today. Keep me posted.