Wiki hand/finger tendon conrtractures

Best answers
I am trying to code a hand/finger surgery in which the surgeon did a release of tendons. Its on the right hand and each finger had 2 tendons, except the thumb which only had one. I have coded by just using 9 units and received a denial and I have also listed each tendon with a finger modifier (F1, etc.) and with a 51 modifier on the second tendon of each finger. It was also denied this way by Medicare. The denial is CO-151 which states payment adjusted because payer deems the info. submitted does not support this many/frequency of services. This isn't a common procedure but hopefully someone can share with their input. Help!!

CPT Code?

I am trying to code a hand/finger surgery in which the surgeon did a release of tendons. Its on the right hand and each finger had 2 tendons, except the thumb which only had one. I have coded by just using 9 units and received a denial and I have also listed each tendon with a finger modifier (F1, etc.) and with a 51 modifier on the second tendon of each finger. It was also denied this way by Medicare. The denial is CO-151 which states payment adjusted because payer deems the info. submitted does not support this many/frequency of services. This isn't a common procedure but hopefully someone can share with their input. Help!!

What CPT Code are you using? Sometimes whether we really like to use it or not you may need to add a modifier 59 to make sure they understand they are separate tendons.

The diagnosis the doctor gave was contracture of hand -M24.2541 but I am going to try adding the diagnosis of M62.441 which is contracture of tendon in hand. The CPT code is 26455-incision of tendon if finger. Your opinions are appreciated!

You cannot add a dx code if it is not documented. You can have joint contractures that require a tendon release. This does not mean you automatically have a tendon contracture. Is it possible to attach an op note?