Wiki Hard time getting people to work

MarilynS

Networker
Best answers
We have put ads on multiple websites for job openings in our billing dept. Either we get no response at all, they don't show up for the interviews, or we get resumes that list they are currently working at Taco Bell ( our ads specifically say experience is a must). Is there any other websites to post job openings on instead of Indeed? By the way, we are located just south of Tampa, FL just in case anybody in my area wants a job.

I have found wonderful success on Indeed. With the big caveat of WHEN I AM HIRING FOR FULLY REMOTE.
This is all my anecdotal experience and personal opinion about the job market in Long Island, NY.
Pre-March 2020, some people in medical billing or medical coding did work remote. Those positions were generally for skilled employees that had already "paid their dues." When pandemic lockdown occurred, many companies were forced to accommodate remote working. Many employees who never thought they could or even asked to work remote were forced to. The employees seemed to like it a lot more than the employers did. Many of the workforce who got a taste of remote work are simply unwilling to have a job that requires them to work onsite.
My personal opinion is that training is easiest onsite. An entry level anyone will do best when surrounded by others. It is simply easier to ask a question of the next cubicle than to ask via MS Teams (or whatever virtual system you use). You might overhear a situation and ask more questions about it.
Over the past 2 years I have had to fill a few positions (all coding, with various experience levels required.) Each time, I tried to find someone somewhat local who could at least train onsite, or work hybrid, or even come into the office twice a month. I was very willing to hire from within my organization with less experience than an outside hire. Inside or outside, I received very few job applications. Those that did apply expected close to management pay for a job requiring 1 year of experience. For one position, I did find someone local for hybrid, and who quit after about 6 weeks. I didn't even get to finish her training. After months of a vacant position, I decided I would try fully remote. I received over 170 certified candidates in less than 48 hours. I am now onboarding my third fully remote (out of state) employee.
I wish I could find qualified, local candidates willing to work for what I think is a decent salary and benefits for the skill and experience required.
I wish (particularly) apprentice coders and entry level employees were willing to "pay their dues" onsite and transition to remote or hybrid.
The reality is I just could not. It is sometimes definitely an obstacle to have team members all over the US, but it IS doable.
You may want to consider remote, or be willing to wait 6 months until you find the right candidate.

PS - for medical billers (and medical assistants), I have often had good success by reaching out to local schools in the area that offer a medical billing program. You might even be able to become an official internship site and you get a student for a set time period to work for free. You can tell who knows their stuff and is willing to learn. It's like a free trial period and can be a great resource for hiring. Even the schools that don't have internship sites, you can get a lot of resumes and ask for instructor references.

Good luck!

As a certified medical coder completed CPC in Dec 2021, Holding CPC-A from AAPC, interested in remote entry level medical coding job, since i am residing in MALAYSAI, i couldn't find medical coding jobs in Malaysia, could someone suggest me how to find entry level jobs (remote) , because in INDEED, has huge job openings for all levels of coding, but I am unable to even apply because, initially there are few questions to be filled before applying jobs ( that asks for are you living in USA/ only for US citizens), could anyone suggest me how to proceed with????
Tq

Avendeeka
Medical coder

To echo what @csperoni said, it is taking longer to hire for in-person applicants right now.

We had an open position recently that took a while to fill, but ultimately it paid off & was a win-win for everyone. A newer coder was hired - she's getting the opportunity to learn the ropes and be mentored in-person. (Hiring a remote employee wasn't an option due to company policy, which we had no control over.)

For CPC-A reading this, you may find success applying for in-person jobs if you're willing. In addition to the brand new coder we hired to train, my mentee (who lives in another state) was recently hired as a CPC-A with no healthcare experience. She preferred to have her first job in-office to get her bearings anyhow, and that led to her getting hired as a coder pretty quickly. Her previous work experience was as a school bus driver!

OP as suggested, you could consider making your positions remote. That would certainly expand your applicant pool.

If you can't or choose not to do that, I'd suggest reaching out to your local chapter to announce the position - if there's more than one chapter in your area, promote it to all of them.

Additionally, I'd consider contacting local billing/coding education programs with the position opening. They may have a job board for recent graduates. Perhaps you'll find a local candidate who may not have hands-on work experience, but who has the right training/educational background to be a suitable candidate anyhow?

Good luck!

We have put ads on multiple websites for job openings in our billing dept. Either we get no response at all, they don't show up for the interviews, or we get resumes that list they are currently working at Taco Bell ( our ads specifically say experience is a must). Is there any other websites to post job openings on instead of Indeed? By the way, we are located just south of Tampa, FL just in case anybody in my area wants a job.
Are you looking for anyone to work remotely?

Are you looking for experienced only or are you willing to hire entry level? I have been certified for 2 years but have had a very difficult time finding an office or office-to- remote position in my area (Syracuse) due to the "experience" issue. No one I have interviewed with wants to hire anyone with no real world experience. Many offices and hospitals put all their billing and coding staff, finance departments, etc on remote and are now keeping them remote - buildings and office equipment sold, no office to go back to.

I am not sure what specialty you are looking for, but I am an experienced ENT Surgical Coder and Reimbursement Analyst. I have 32 years 18 years of experience. I have18 years just with ENT and 13 years multi-specialty. I have specialized in surgical coding and code-related appeals. I am looking for remote work. If you are interested, Please feel free to contact me at bterry4162@att.net or call (386)-597-2429.

Thank You