Wiki hardware exchange

Paula19

Networker
Best answers
Patient fractured her left hip and underwent intramedullary nail placement of a left intertrochanteric femur fracture, The top screw subsided as the fracture compressed and healed, and is now prominent in her lateral thigh. The screw will be removed and replaced with a shorter screw. Would you report CPT code 20680-22, 27245-52 or unlisted and compare too??

Thanks for the help.

Patient fractured her left hip and underwent intramedullary nail placement of a left intertrochanteric femur fracture, The top screw subsided as the fracture compressed and healed, and is now prominent in her lateral thigh. The screw will be removed and replaced with a shorter screw. Would you report CPT code 20680-22, 27245-52 or unlisted and compare too??

Thanks for the help.
Hi Paula 19,
Was wondering what you did with this scenario? I am in the same confusion and provider is wanting to add 27599 along w/20680. But not sure what pricing I would use to define the 27599 if I did go that route. Thanks for any help!

I have this scenario currently and I think I'm going to use the 27299 because per the ncci manual the 20670 & 20680 aren't separately reportable if the removal is performed as a necessary component of another procedure.