Wiki Has anyone here ever been involved in practice start-up?

PVAzCPC

Best answers
Looking for some guidance in setting up a new primary care practice. Cannot afford to hire a "start-up consulting firm", just really need some suggestions for resources for policy and procedure templates, and the like. Any suggestions appreciated! Excited to be doing this, but today, feeling a bit overwhelmed, so much to do, so many things to consider.....:eek:

I have many times. What part are you looking for? There are many areas to address with a practice startup from credentialing, contracting, supplies, P & P, forms, fee schedules, EMR/PM setup, vendors, staffing, payroll, IT, phones, and the list goes on and on.

Marlene Garcia
Practice Manager

Hey, Marlene, thanks for taking time to help me out! I'm struggling with P&P right now. I've been trying to find specific info or guidelines on what is required for a small solo provider practice, and wishing I could find some samples or template to follow, and just not having much luck. Everything else I pretty much have handle on. I've spent my career in private practices, but never in a start up. There is a lot, you are so right! I so appreciate any resources, advice, suggestions etc you are able to share. ? Thanks again!

Billing Director

Hello,
Reed Tinsley has several publications out regarding start up of a medical practice and it entails everything a solo provider should be looking at from signing contracts to hiring employees to setting rates. It also has template guides and may also have policy and procedure samples as well.
If you google this author, the publication I believe was 1999 but it is still an extremely valuable tool.
best of luck to you
Kathleen

I agree.... Reed Tinsley is a good place to start. Another place with valuable information is HCMS, TMA and MGMA. My doctors are members of Harris County Medical Society and Texas Medical Association. I am a member of MGMA and purchased a a book with a CD on Policies and Procedures a good while back. The book may be more up to date now. The editing on the CD is wonderful and you can customize it to your practice needs. Well worth the money spent versus consulting. By the way, I also do consulting. I think the book and these other resources will guide you well. Just do your research, make a list of everything you need to do and you will do fine. There are many practice startup lists you can also pull from all of these resources mentioned. Combine them and you'll do great.

Thanks so much, Marlene! All really good information. I did not think about the Arizona Medical Association. Was trying to navigate the Az Medical Board website, but it was not helpful at all! Just pulled the AzMA, and already found more pertinent info in 5 minutes than I have in 5 days, lol! MGMA will have to go on my wishlist, we are on a shoestring until we get a provider on-boarded, and start seeing patients and generating revenue. Thanks for helping me take a deep breath and re-focus! I was feeling very isolated lately, didn't think there was anyone in the world who had gone through what I am going through, so God bless you! and Kathleen, too! :)

Billing Director

Hi just a couple more things. I also did consulting for many years and while the focus is truly on "start up" areas equally important are Human Resources - in terms of creating policies and guidelines following state and federal guidelines to protect you and this new practice to avoid any potential grievances. The second most important factor would be ways to prevent your practice from employee theft such as ensuring there is a three tiered bank deposit process where the same person who goes to the bank does not enter payments into the software system, etc....Ensure you have an established legal council in case you may need it. Again, not to scare off...this is very exciting....just to be aware. Also, if you can work with you State Medical Societies to find out what other new providers can share their experiences...and what money may be on the table for your start up....
Again, all in the book....

Gotcha! Yup, lots and lots to think about! I just downloaded Reed's New Practice Checklist, and one of the things listed under "Office Operational Issues" is "Prepare Office Policy and Procedures manual". I have read many policy and procedure manuals, as a staff member with many different private practices over the years, my question is: where do the policies and procedures come from? Who wrote the manual, and how did they know what all needed to be included in the manual? Does that make sense?

Practice Start Up

I have worked with many practices to start up and in developing training programs, P&P and compliance programs. If you have specific questions, feel free to Private Message me and I'll be happy to try to help you.

B.Wallen, CPC

New Practice Start Up help

I have worked with several Start Up practices mostly Primary Care, but also did a cancer center and converted 5 medium sized groups into 1 large group. Fun stuff!! I am tagging this thread and will try to offer up what help I can in the thread and keep an eye on it for all the other great idea's people have here. As far as P & P goes you can get templates from the sources above and or copy from other practices it really comes down to the state you are operating in and what the laws are there. Most of the time the Policies are checked through some sort of legal council to make sure they are actually valid and enforceable in your state. If you and your doc are pretty familiar with the laws in your state or with prior practice P & P you probably already have a good start, for the tough stuff you will need to consult an attorney. But really for a single provider practice how much staff are you really talking about needing to hire right away? Feel free to fire specific questions here and we can try to answer for you.

Biggest advice for any start up is to create a checklist for each of the various different tasks that need to be completed. Keep the important contact people and their information at the top and make it easy to update and handy so you can make several phone calls back to the people that fail to get back with you on your requests.
Payer credentialing/enrollment, hiring/payroll, P & P, IT/EMR, etc., etc.

Don't get too overwhelmed. We can help.

Jon Gilbert
Physician Support Service LLC

I have worked with several Start Up practices mostly Primary Care, but also did a cancer center and converted 5 medium sized groups into 1 large group. Fun stuff!! I am tagging this thread and will try to offer up what help I can in the thread and keep an eye on it for all the other great idea's people have here. As far as P & P goes you can get templates from the sources above and or copy from other practices it really comes down to the state you are operating in and what the laws are there. Most of the time the Policies are checked through some sort of legal council to make sure they are actually valid and enforceable in your state. If you and your doc are pretty familiar with the laws in your state or with prior practice P & P you probably already have a good start, for the tough stuff you will need to consult an attorney. But really for a single provider practice how much staff are you really talking about needing to hire right away? Feel free to fire specific questions here and we can try to answer for you.

Biggest advice for any start up is to create a checklist for each of the various different tasks that need to be completed. Keep the important contact people and their information at the top and make it easy to update and handy so you can make several phone calls back to the people that fail to get back with you on your requests.
Payer credentialing/enrollment, hiring/payroll, P & P, IT/EMR, etc., etc.

Don't get too overwhelmed. We can help.

Jon Gilbert
Physician Support Service LLC

Thanks so much, Jon! I appreciate the support I have been shown through this Practice Management Forum! P&P is my biggest challenge, so far. It can be overwhelming, but I am taking another deep breath and "just keep swimming", to quote my friend, Stephanie! I'm breaking it down by sections, and that seems to be easier, too. We are unique, in that we are a non-physician owned practice, and have not hired an MD yet, so I am pretty much flying solo, utilizing all the resources I can muster! This morning, I am working on an infection control program, that is required by Arizona's DHS; we have our first inspection on Tuesday. I bought a book from MGMA, "Operating Policies and Procedures", that has an Exposure Control plan, but it does not address the "method to identify and document infections occurring in the outpatient setting", that the Az Admin Rule requires. The method of identifying? What does that mean? The doctor diagnoses infections like flu, strep etc., when the patients present, but how is that part of an infection control plan? That's just us seeing and treating our patients...Guess I just need to ponder this some more after another cup of coffee! ;)

I've just been hired to do the same. Thankfully I do have a wonderful consultant but it never hurts to have information from different sources. Most organizations, like the MGMA, HFMA, etc offer a free 30 day trial. Use what you can in 30 days if you can't afford the paid membership yet. Good luck with your start up!