• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Wiki HCC Documentation for Morbid Obesity

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: E66.01

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Morbid (severe) obesity due to excess calories

Block: Overweight, obesity and other hyperalimentation (E65-E68)

Details: Morbid (severe) obesity due to excess calories

Excludes 1: morbid (severe) obesity with alveolar hypoventilation (E66.2)

E66
Code first obesity complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium, if applicable (O99.21-)
Use additional code to identify body mass index (BMI), if known (Z68.-)

Excludes1: adiposogenital dystrophy (E23.6)
lipomatosis NOS (E88.2)
lipomatosis dolorosa [Dercum] (E88.2)
Prader-Willi syndrome (Q87.1)

Guidelines: Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00-E89)

Excludes 1: transitory endocrine and metabolic disorders specific to newborn (P70-P74)

Note: All neoplasms, whether functionally active or not, are classified in Chapter 2. Appropriate codes in this chapter (i.e. E05.8, E07.0, E16-E31, E34.-) may be used as additional codes to indicate either functional activity by neoplasms and ectopic endocrine tissue or hyperfunction and hypofunction of endocrine glands associated with neoplasms and other conditions classified elsewhere.

For more details on E66.01, ICD-10 Code for Morbid (severe) obesity due to excess calories , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

debi7478

Networker
Best answers
I need some help finding documentation that will show the HCC CMS guidelines for coding Morbid Obesity and the BMI association. I can only find where >40 BMI is considered Morbidly obese but I am being told by many providers that if the pt is >30 WITH comorbidities they are considered morbidly obese... Now my question for Risk Adjustment is must they link the co morbidities to obesity as a cause and effect? like we do for DM? I really hope someone has the key for this. Everything I look up talks about ICD9

Thanks in advance

Debi Bales LVN,CPC,CRC
:rolleyes:

Tinakim18

New
Best answers
Severe Obesity and high blood pressure

If a medical record indicates patient has severe obesity and also high blood pressure, as a coder can I report E66.01 for morbid obesity? The high blood pressure is considered a co-morbidity to severe obesity which then "bumps up" the diagnosis from severe to morbid. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.