Wiki HCC Question - please help me understand

jenniepat

New
Best answers
Good morning! Could someone tell me why aortic aneurysm I71.9 be an HCC, but the more specific Thoracic aortic aneurysm I71.20 would not be an HCC?

Good morning! Could someone tell me why aortic aneurysm I71.9 be an HCC, but the more specific Thoracic aortic aneurysm I71.20 would not be an HCC?

I71.20 was a new code effective 10/1/2022.

There hasn't been an update mapping new codes to HCCs yet. You won't see any new codes on the HCC listing yet.

I do agree that the new codes I71.20 - I71.23 will likely be added to HCC 108.

Prior to 10/1/22, the code was I71.2 and it was HCC 108. There's just a lag between when new codes are effective and when they are incorporated into the models.

I71.20 was a new code effective 10/1/2022.

There hasn't been an update mapping new codes to HCCs yet. You won't see any new codes on the HCC listing yet.
Oh great! Thank you so much!. How would I know that this code was effective 10/1/2022? Is there somewhere I can reference new codes added? We use the most recent mappings on the cms.gov website

Oh great! Thank you so much!. How would I know that this code was effective 10/1/2022? Is there somewhere I can reference new codes added? We use the most recent mappings on the cms.gov website

Do you use a ICD-10-CM book or an encoder? Any of those should have a symbol or way to flag the new and/or revised codes.

My 2023 book uses circle and triangle symbols to show new codes.

My encoder (EncoderPro) flags it as a "New Code" in the column to the right.

Also if you scroll down to the Code History field, EncoderPro shows:
Change Effective Date: 10/01/2022
Change Summary: Officially recognized, Other, New

Different encoder products may have different ways of displaying it - if you look up I71.20 in whatever encoder you use, you should be able to see how that encoder flags new codes.

Do you use a ICD-10-CM book or an encoder? Any of those should have a symbol or way to flag the new and/or revised codes.

My 2023 book uses circle and triangle symbols to show new codes.

My encoder (EncoderPro) flags it as a "New Code" in the column to the right.

Also if you scroll down to the Code History field, EncoderPro shows:
Change Effective Date: 10/01/2022
Change Summary: Officially recognized, Other, New

Different encoder products may have different ways of displaying it - if you look up I71.20 in whatever encoder you use, you should be able to see how that encoder flags new codes.
Fantastic!! Thank you so much for your guidance. I use encoder for our icd10 codes. I'm assuming they will continually add HCC codes every 6 months since the mappings are updated every 6 months.