Wiki Health Risk Assessment for Medicare Wellness

Best answers
Hello,

If the patient can't fill out the HRA due to mental incapacity, lack of cognitive function, etc can the Medicare wellness visit still be billed? If they have a caregiver could they help them with it? The HRA is a major criteria for the Medicare wellness. I can't find anything on Medicare's website. I might have to call them.

Any help is appreciated.

We have always been under the impression that yes, a caregiver can fill out the forms on behalf of the patient especially in the case of a cognitive problem. When this occurs, our providers will make a statement in the visit note to say the caregiver accompanied the patient and assisted in completing the HRA forms. There also have been times that our staff has assisted a patient with the forms if they are unable to complete on their own; meaning we simply read and explain the questions and write the answers the patient gives.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. What if they don't fill it out at all? What if they have dementia?

The American Academy of Family Physicians advises if the patient won't or can't fill out the form, document the reason and "get as much from the visit if you can." There is no requirement for how to conduct a risk assessment, just that one is done. The questionnaire is generally the easiest, because it saves time. But the provider's direct observations are considered just as good.

Agree 100%. I wouldn't worry too much about how/if the forms are completed. Visit note documentation plays a much bigger role.