Question Hello all

Best answers
I have a question related to robotic lobectomy/wedge resections and robotic CABG. Recently one of our new providers started doing these robotic surgeries and I am not sure if these can be billed as regular CPT codes (32480, 32505, 32666, 33533) or unlisted codes 32999 and 33999(being that procedures are done robotically). Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Hello Nikolina
Yes use the CPT which defines the surgery then add HPCS code S2900. Ahh Hampton Roads...know it well. My baby girl was born in Chesapeake General, 20 years ago.
Take Care!
Lady T
Thank you for your response! :)
I was told that HCPCs S code series are only accepted by Anthem payers.?

I am not aware of any carriers that reimburse for S2900. As a HCPCS, its generally used as a reporting tool in my experience. In my health system, for the providers that use it, it is not billed to insurance and has no fee associated.
The daVinci robot is simply a tool used to perform laparoscopic and/or minimally invasive surgery/procedures. You should use codes that best describe the service being performed, or unlisted if there is no appropriate CPT.
I know nothing about CV surgery, but in other specialties, if there is no laparoscopic code, you use unlisted NOT the open code. Typically the comparison on the unlisted is to the open code. Your specialty society may have guidance about this.

Hi
The HCPCS code S2900 was taken from the manual yr. 2023 and stated only to define robotics was involved in surgery.then use the accompany CPT surgery codes. I d use that instead of unlisted CPT code since more detail
Lady T