Wiki HELP! Ascending Aortoplasty

Best answers
One of our surgeons just performed a procedure, listing it as an "urgent myocardial revascularization with saphenous vein graft x 3, bilateral endoscopic saphenous vein harvesting and ascending aortoplasty". I'm having issues with the "ascending aortoplasty". I believe I should code 33512 for the saphenous vein graft and 33508 for the endoscopic vein harvest. I assumed I would use 33860 for the aortoplasty, but after reading the op note, that doesn't sound at all like a 33860 to me. I have been searching to find a code that matches what he describes and can't seem to find it. I'm wondering if I can even bill for what he is describing or if I just keep missing it in the CPT book and the code is right there in front of me! Can anyone please help? I've attached the op note. The yellow highlighted parts indicate what I think deals with the "aortoplasty".

Attachments

• ascending aortoplasty question op note.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
From what I can read "aortoplasty" refers to repairing the aorta by attaching the end of the saphenous veins to cover the opening punched into the aorta so it would perfuse the saphenous grafts. No code needed.
I don't know if there is a code for removing all that soft plaque though - isn't that the same as what they'd do for a clogged carotid artery?
But know that I'm new to this business. :)