Wiki help coding extended neck dissection

So with what I read it appears your surgeon did a Radical Neck Dissection, CPT 38720, they had to take many of the structures that were involved with a very large mass and multiple enlarged lymph nodes. When a surgeon is able to preserve those structures it is referred to as a Modified Radical Neck Dissection with Preservation which is CPT 38724. A lot of times the neck dissections are bundled into other major head and neck procedure codes but it appears the neck dissection is all your surgeon performed at this time so again, CPT 38720 is appropriate.

Hope this helps!

So with what I read it appears your surgeon did a Radical Neck Dissection, CPT 38720, they had to take many of the structures that were involved with a very large mass and multiple enlarged lymph nodes. When a surgeon is able to preserve those structures it is referred to as a Modified Radical Neck Dissection with Preservation which is CPT 38724. A lot of times the neck dissections are bundled into other major head and neck procedure codes but it appears the neck dissection is all your surgeon performed at this time so again, CPT 38720 is appropriate.

Hope this helps!
thank you i struggled between the same 2 codes

My pleasure, Head & Neck cases are difficult, one would hope that CPT would expand their coding when it comes to this but you really are limited. Reach out anytime, if I can help, I will!