Wiki Help finding a home coding job

Best answers
I have been coding from home for the past five years. My desire was to watch my children grow up. So many others seem to want the same thing but have not had the same success I feel I have. I just want to share some pointers with those trying the achieve this goal.

Despite what some may say, home coding jobs do exist and they can pay quite well, but there are some stipulations.

First, you need a coding credential (usually a CPC or CCS).

Second, most companies require 2-3 years of coding experience (usually in a single specialty).

Third, most home coding positions are "independent contractor" positions. That means that you are technically self-employed. While you will have steady work and pay check you will be responsible for your own taxes, health insurance, and vacations will not be paid.

Fourth, you will need to know how to locate a company that hires at home coders.

I have compiled a short list of companies on my website of legitimate companies that hire at home coders. I have worked for three of these companies myself. This is a link to the list (just scroll to the bottom): http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalcoding.com/remotemedicalcodingjobs.html

Good luck everyone!

Remote

I started at home last June with a part time company and in September with a full time and love being home. My kids are grown...but soooo tired of the offfice drama and I have the discipline to work at home. My full time job recently announced an upcoming 3 month downtime. Shock to me but now looking again. I will use the list to get my name out again. Guess it just proves that nothing is a sure deal. Thanks for the info.
Judy

Website

kristy, just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your website. Lots of great information even for someone with coding and work at home experience. It's great that there is a resource
with honesty.

Kristy, Thank you for all the info. I currently have been going back and forth about coding from home. I currently have 9 years of multi-specialty practice experience and wondered if I have the right credentials. I just want to say "Thank you" for your very informative website.:)

very helpful website!

Thanks kristyrodecker,
your info really help! since i just graduated for MBC program and has no working experience in the medical coding field although i do have strong coding skills. wondering if you know some one who hiring an entry level coder. please send email to me at: liumantao@yahoo.com if you know something. your kindness will be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Mantao

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments. I honestly was just tired of seeing people taken advantage of in this field. There just seem to be so many scams out there that are targeting good, honest, hardworking people who just want to be at home with their families.

here are 2 more....

I have worked as a remote coder doing risk adjustment auditing for a little over 4 years now for both of the companies below. Neither of these were "independent contractor jobs" Neither offer benefits such as health insurance or paid time off but they did take care of deducting taxes and you get a W-2 at the end of the year. They both pay every other week. They both offer full time work for the most part. They both give you paid training to make sure you know exactly what they expect of you and you get CEU credits for the training!
Medassurant paid by the hour and had work year round although there were some slow times where there was less work than other times. This company provided a company laptop to work on. Medassurant hired me with less than a year of actual on the job experience while I still had my CPC-A!!!
Outcomes pays per chart and they do seem to have some lengthy downtime every year which is coming up again really soon. Last year the work died out for them about this time and I didn't start back up with them until fall but there was plenty of work to be done all fall & winter. This company does not provide a laptop. You use your own computer.

I don't know that either of them is hiring currently but I thought I would let you know about them.

http://www.medassurant.com/open-positions.aspx

http://www.outcomesinc.com/employment.asp

Thanks so much for the information I have 20 years of coding and medical billing experience with a CPC, I am wanting to work from home so this information helps!:)

Kindred Health Care also hires remote coders. They are long-term acute care hospital coding, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Several colleagues left the same company to go work for this company and love it!

I need some advice..I have been coding for now going on seven years with an Orthopadic company. i am also wanting to go home and code but the problem I am having is i have been coding the physican side not the hospital. I've found some jobs out there but its like they don't want to hire me because of having no hospital coding. I've coded surgeries and physical therapy. Does anyone know of any companies out there that would hire a physician coder? Thanks a bunch!!! Any advice helps!!

Can anyone tell me what is the average pay for working from home ? I worked for a physicain's office and hospital making about the same per hour. I did some remote coding before and was paid $20.00 per hour but no taxes were taken out along with no benifits. There were no minimum charts that you had to complete each day, you were given a certain amount and had a week to complete them. I enjoyed that because you worked at your own pace, problem was once you were done lets just say it was wed and this had to be turned in on fri, you would not get anymore because they felt you woudln't be able to complete another set in two days. At my previous jobs working in the office i was paid about half of that but recieved benifits and was not on a time frame. I would love to work from home but i have two small children and so i would have to get everything done between your normal 8-5 hours and would not be able to work nights and weekends, i would be afraid i wouldn't complete it in time and would have to work this extra hours. At my previous jobs what you did was yours at your own desk, if you had to leave early or miss a day it was waiting for you when you returned, unless you were out a few days of course.

Can anyone tell me what is the average pay for working from home ? I worked for a physicain's office and hospital making about the same per hour. I did some remote coding before and was paid $20.00 per hour but no taxes were taken out along with no benifits. There were no minimum charts that you had to complete each day, you were given a certain amount and had a week to complete them. I enjoyed that because you worked at your own pace, problem was once you were done lets just say it was wed and this had to be turned in on fri, you would not get anymore because they felt you woudln't be able to complete another set in two days. At my previous jobs working in the office i was paid about half of that but recieved benifits and was not on a time frame. I would love to work from home but i have two small children and so i would have to get everything done between your normal 8-5 hours and would not be able to work nights and weekends, i would be afraid i wouldn't complete it in time and would have to work this extra hours. At my previous jobs what you did was yours at your own desk, if you had to leave early or miss a day it was waiting for you when you returned, unless you were out a few days of course.

I think every company does it a little different. I have worked for companies that have a que with live charts and you just code what's in the que. With that company you had a week to meet the number of charts you signed up for, so if you had to take a day off you could catch up on another day. Other companies I've worked for had a batch of charts they gave to you each day and you were to complete them that day at any given time. Another contract I had had a live que and you just told the head of your client what you expected to code that given day and then at the end of the day you told them what you actually coded. This allowed your numbers to vary more or less depending on your schedule and needs.

All of the companies I worked for were contract and paid per. chart, no benefits, and paid gross not net. Because of the "self employed" status you can write off a lot of items on your taxes though. I think what you are paid for per chart depends on the specialty you code for and the rate of charts per. hour that specialty sets as their standard. I prefer emergency medicine and have traditionally been paid .65 - .75 cents per. chart. The standard rate was 25 charts an hour which would average to about $16.25 - $18.75 an hour. I don't know if maybe emergency records are just easier, but I've always been able to code about 40 an hour which average to about $26.00 - $30.00 an hour.

Like I said though, a lot depends on the company, the specialty, and the coder.

Hope this helps

Kristy