Wiki Help for a DX code

ktrek32

New
Best answers
I have a patient that came into the office for a medical problem he needed to be cleared for a MRI that he did not have any metal in his eye because of his occupation. He did not have metal in his eye and I need to bill his medical insurance not sure what the diagnosis be, I am thinking screening eye (V80.2) or is there a better dx code that someone can think of or is there a combonation of dx codes that I can use

thanks

Kim

I found this from a thread posted a few years ago... I hope this helps.

PER ACR CODING Q & A
http://www.acr.org/Hidden/Economics/...aspx?css=print

Q: Before performing an MR study, a plain film of the orbits is performed to detect any metallic foreign bodies that may be present which would cause eye damage to the patient during an MRI procedure. Is the performance of a plain film in this instance considered a scout film which is not reported or is it considered a screening diagnostic study and separately reportable?

It is the consensus of the American College of Radiology's Committee on Coding and Nomenclature that a plain film of the orbits (to detect a foreign body) which is performed prior to an MRI procedure is not considered a scout film. A scout film is an inherent part of an imaging study typically performed on the same modality.

The plain film or digital image on PACS is reported using CPT® code 70030 – Radiological examination, eye, for detection of foreign body. Orbit studies are ordered for patients prior to an MRI when medically necessary (i.e. history of sheet metal work, prior history of intraocular foreign body).

------------Like the Answer states, a plain film/digital image of the eye for FB (70030) is reported prior to an MRI when medically necessary, i.e. HX of sheet metal work. That DX code is V82.89. That is the ICD standard to be used if you have no other carrier specific direction.

No. Unfortunately, I do not agree with the last reply.

Depending on what CPT service you provided....However, if you did NOT do all of the elements of a vision exam(if you did, then code V72.0), I would use V72.83 "other specific pre-op examination (i.e. exam prior to chemo, other pre-procedural exam, pre-procedural general exam).

I hope this helps.