Wiki Help getting coding job after 2 years of not coding

hope25*

New
Best answers
I am having a hard time getting back into coding after almost 2 years because of medical issues. I keep applying and cannot get anything. Any advice on what I can do. I would like to get a job in coding again. Experience in emergency room coding. Thanks

I would try to find any type of medical office job - whether that's reception, billing, scheduling, etc. It's not where you want to be now, but it at least gets you back in the door.

I am having a hard time getting back into coding after almost 2 years because of medical issues. I keep applying and cannot get anything. Any advice on what I can do. I would like to get a job in coding again. Experience in emergency room coding. Thanks
not sure where you are from, but we have a job opening at my clinic in Greenville, MS. It might be a long shot but worth putting out there. Hope you find something!

I would try to find any type of medical office job - whether that's reception, billing, scheduling, etc. It's not where you want to be now, but it at least gets you back in the door.
Thank you for the info. I have been applying to these kind of jobs also.they say that I don't have the right experience for them.

I got a job through a temp agency after job hunting for 4 months with 1 interview and no offer! This job was working for a Urologist office as a Surgery Scheduler. It wasn't working out so much for me, so I called the temp agency back and asked if there was anything else available.

Sure enough, they called me a few days later about a job in Quality, confirming fax numbers and requesting records. Over 8 years later, I'm now a HEDIS Manager. :)

In the beginning, I was worried because I didn't think I was doing anything pertaining to coding. As time progressed and I became more involved with the ins and outs of HEDIS, I realized that I was wrong! Health insurance gives you a lot of experience in different areas; Working at a health plan, I've educated providers to assist with proper reimbursement. Working on the Corporate team, I was researching claims, looking for CPT Codes and dates of service so that I can request the records for compliance.

You can always start at the front desk, checkout, surgery scheduler, etc. it may not include coding in the description, but one way or the other, it's going to be part of your job. if not, it will at least get your foot in the door until another opportunity becomes available.

The best thing about being a temp, is that you have an opportunity to see what it's like to do different things. Don't be afraid to ask for a new assignment, but give yourself a couple of weeks or a month to be acclimated. Sometimes, it can take 1-2 weeks just to get access to all of their systems.

Hang in there, stay positive, and best of luck!!

I got a job through a temp agency after job hunting for 4 months with 1 interview and no offer! This job was working for a Urologist office as a Surgery Scheduler. It wasn't working out so much for me, so I called the temp agency back and asked if there was anything else available.

Sure enough, they called me a few days later about a job in Quality, confirming fax numbers and requesting records. Over 8 years later, I'm now a HEDIS Manager. :)

In the beginning, I was worried because I didn't think I was doing anything pertaining to coding. As time progressed and I became more involved with the ins and outs of HEDIS, I realized that I was wrong! Health insurance gives you a lot of experience in different areas; Working at a health plan, I've educated providers to assist with proper reimbursement. Working on the Corporate team, I was researching claims, looking for CPT Codes and dates of service so that I can request the records for compliance.

You can always start at the front desk, checkout, surgery scheduler, etc. it may not include coding in the description, but one way or the other, it's going to be part of your job. if not, it will at least get your foot in the door until another opportunity becomes available.

The best thing about being a temp, is that you have an opportunity to see what it's like to do different things. Don't be afraid to ask for a new assignment, but give yourself a couple of weeks or a month to be acclimated. Sometimes, it can take 1-2 weeks just to get access to all of their systems.

Hang in there, stay positive, and best of luck!!
Thanks i will look into doing that.