Wiki Help - Group Parent Visits in Pediatric Practice Questions

Diane P

New
Best answers
I have a pediatric practice that wants to begin offering group sessions for parents. Patients will be seen by LCSW and physician. This is essentially for parents with young children, usually 2-3 months of age to assist with struggles of childhood/parenthood. Typically anxious parents. No confirmed diagnosis previous to group meetings, so essentially thinking for preventive services. Office wants to bill under the child as a pediatric office. Unsure at this time if the child is present for the group meetings. Can you bill under the child if services are for the parent?? Asking if all the participants in the group has to have the same diagnosis?

Physician requesting 3-4 diagnosis that can be billed for these services. Emphasis to physician that diagnoses needs to support the reason/purpose for the visit and what is supported by the documentation in the medical record. Essentially, If there is no confirmed diagnosis of the patients/group then only a preventative service would be available. Is my thought process correct?

Physician expects that both the MD and LCSW can charge for services. My understanding that cannot bill for shared time spent with patient together. Physician does not anticipate any medical management during the visit etc. Can only one provider bill?

Any documentation/template recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for questions to the above questions as well as recommendations for appropriate CPT and ICD-10 codes.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.