Wiki HELP? How to code I&D of Breast Abcess with Insertion of Penrose Drain?

Nukegirl13

Best answers
How would you code this?

While I wanted to initially choose code 19020 because it is the more specific code for an I&D breast abscess, insertion of the penrose drain is NOT included in this code. I know Penrose drains are normally included in the I&D code and NOT billed separately, so that is why I would think that 10061 for complex abcess would be the right choice because it includes the drain as well??? Confused...someone please weigh in?!

How would you code this?

While I wanted to initially choose code 19020 because it is the more specific code for an I&D breast abscess, insertion of the penrose drain is NOT included in this code. I know Penrose drains are normally included in the I&D code and NOT billed separately, so that is why I would think that 10061 for complex abcess would be the right choice because it includes the drain as well??? Confused...someone please weigh in?!
just did this one through practicode and 19020 is the correct code

I also am trying to reason through the same practicode case with 'Incision and drainage and insertion of Penrose drain of Subareolar abscess' procedure. some of these cases are extremely difficult. I also have no medical background :) I was lucky to earn my coding credentials through 2 weeks of toilsome study and good instinct for my exam! Ill have to say practicode makes the exam seem like a walk in the park. Thanks for everyones input! I refer to these forums a lot!

I also am trying to reason through the same practicode case with 'Incision and drainage and insertion of Penrose drain of Subareolar abscess' procedure. some of these cases are extremely difficult. I also have no medical background :) I was lucky to earn my coding credentials through 2 weeks of toilsome study and good instinct for my exam! Ill have to say practicode makes the exam seem like a walk in the park. Thanks for everyones input! I refer to these forums a lot!
I agree. I'm on this very question in Practicode. I passed my certification exam with 81%. Practicode makes me feel like I've never studied at all. :(