Wiki help needed with billing records request

TTcpc

Guru
Best answers
I have received a request for billing records from a lawfirm regarding a medication litigation case for a gentleman who was a patient of a former anesthesiologist who just retired and we are closing out his accounts. I have access to the patient's billing records through the old billing system, but the issue I have is that the medical records release was signed in February 2008?!
Wouldn't they need a more recently dated records release than almost 2 years ago? Is there an "expiration date" for medical records requests?
Thank you!:confused:

The authorization should have an expiration date on it, they are commonly good for one year. If you don't find an expiration date it's not a valid authorization to release records to them. Also be sure to look for a statement along the lines of "records may be released beyond the date of signature," and if you don't see anything like that, don't release anything from after the date the patient signed the form. Again, check for an expiration date on the form to see if it is even a valid release form.

found this further in the record

There is a statement that says "Therefore, this authorization shall expire upon the final resolution by all parties of the aforementioned civil litigation, either by final adjucation, final settlement agreement, or final judicial dismissal, or by other final judicial order, including but not limited to the resolution of any and all appeals. I understand that this authorization remains in full force and effect until such expiration or recovcation...."

So I guess going by the expiration I am obligated to send the records.

Thanks to everyone for all of their help with this!:)