HELP! Newborn-Initial care/Discharge same date

HBROCKMAN

Networker
Best answers
How would you charge for a newborn that was seen in the morning for the first time by my physician and then discharged later in the afternoon by the same physician. The patient was not born on this same date. The patients Mom requested to be discharged because she had other children at home to take care of. The physician had not planned on discharging the newborn that day when he evaluated him/her in the morning. Would we just charge the Hospital discharge day management; more than 30 minutes, 99239, since the time in the morning and the discharge time can be added together?

How would you charge for a newborn that was seen in the morning for the first time by my physician and then discharged later in the afternoon by the same physician. The patient was not born on this same date. The patients Mom requested to be discharged because she had other children at home to take care of. The physician had not planned on discharging the newborn that day when he evaluated him/her in the morning. Would we just charge the Hospital discharge day management; more than 30 minutes, 99239, since the time in the morning and the discharge time can be added together?

If the physician provided both a face-to-face initial service and discharge service on the same calendar date, report code 99463.

I have looked at that code, 99463, a couple of times, but the newborn was not born on the same date as my physician first evaluated him and then later discharged him, he was born the day before. Another physician was on rounds and did the initial evaluation on his actual date of birth. So this code would not work for me.

Ahhh! That's not what I got from your first post. In that case, Physician 1 on Day 1 (birthdate) = 99460. Physician 2 on Day 2, date of discharge = 99239 if greater than 30 minutes documented.