Wiki Help Please!! Dx for umbilical hernia...

kmartinez

Networker
Best answers
I am completely stuck on the diagnosis for this impression by the doctor.

Impression: Umbilical hernia with open draining wound secondary to acute hepatic encephalopathy and cirrhosis with ascites.

I have K72.00 for acute hepatic encephalopathy and K70.31 for cirrhosis with ascites

but I am at a loss for what to use for Umbilical hernia with open draining wound

I would really appreciate any help.

TIA
KAM

How about a code from the S31 range - open wound of abdominal wall? Based on that information, I would code both the hernia and the open wound. You may want to check with the provider on whether the hernia was reducible/incarcerated/obstructed/gangrenous.

That was actually my thinking, to code them separately like you mentioned but I was not sure if I would be correct in doing so. Therefore I figured I would try to get some opinions and learn.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:
So here is a little more information regarding my question above.

Within the physical exam the doctor states:

ABDOMEN: There is an umbilical hernia present with maceration in the center of the umbilicus with drainage from the base. The drainage is ascites.

So I would code the umbilical hernia as K42.9 and the open wound as S31.609A ? Does that seem corect?

TIA
KAM

I think I might go with S31.605A due to location. Interesting case!

Thank you so much for your reply! Love coding because there is so much you can research and learn but I don't like when I am not confident or understanding of something, I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. So I appreciate your help.

Hi,
I think It should be coded as S31.105-.. when we go through encoder.. open wounds umbilical leads to open wound abdominal wall peiumbilical region which says,Unspecified open wound of abdominal wall, periumbilic region without penetration into peritoneal cavity .. hope this helps.