Wiki Help please - I have a pt that was here

LTibbetts

Best answers
I have a pt that was here to have greenlight laster evaporation treatment of the prostate. I have coded the 52648 but before this procedure was done, a bladder tumor was seen on radiography so a cystoscopic exam was done and it showed the superficial bladder tumor. A biopsy was obtained and then following that, greenlight laser treatment was applied and the tumor was evaporated. Then after that, the evaporation of the prostate commenced. Can I capture the tumor evaporation or not? I know that the cystoscopy is bundled with the laser surgery but I wasn't sure if this tumor ablation could also be captured. I can't help thinking that I can only code the 52648 since the same instrument was used for both procedures. Any input?

In my opinion, if your provider documented the biopsy and vaporization of the bladder tumor separately from the greenlight laser vaporization of the prostate, you should be able to bill it with a 59 modifier. It was in two different locations and was a separately identifiable procedure. Any thoughts from others?