Wiki Help! Suggestions to Becoming Employed in the Medical Field.

Best answers
I've been trying to become employed in the medical field for about a year and have had only two interviews despite submitting over 200 applications. I became a certified professional coder- apprentice May 2017 and graduated from the Medical Administration and Coding program at one of the top vocational colleges in the country with a 3.0 GPA. I am the only person in my graduating class who hasn't been able to become employed in the field (out of 13). I was a stay at home mom for most of the last fifteen years, but did have 3 temporary jobs within that time. My career counselors all agree that my cover letter and resume are good and they have no suggestions for improvement regarding them.

In 2012, I had a case with CPS that was dismissed within a year. Does a CPS case in my background disqualify me from becoming employed in the medical field?? Could that be what is causing my lack of success in my job search? Or is it most likely the gaps in my employment history? I want a job where I can use my education and certifications.

Ask

I'm not sure if it would have an impact or not but I would ask employers. Kindly, ask why weren't you choosen for the position. You have nothing to lose.
Hope all works out.

P.s. I will follow this thread because I would like to know as well.

Hope this helps...

I am not sure if something like that would be an issue either. But w/o seeing your resume and what type of experience you have my suggestion would be to apply to more than just coding roles. Sometimes just getting a foot in a door at a medical practice starts w/ front desk, scheduling coordinator, etc. You may then have the ability to move up w/ that practice to medical records, billing, coding. Some practices billing and coding are combined. Billing would be great experience for you even if it only dabbles in coding. And if you can't move up in that practice to coding (say they don't do their coding that way, some physician's do their own coding and just need billing to "scrub" it a little) then you will still be getting medical experience and can continue your hunt after sufficient time at that office. Hope this helps! I know the search can be frustrating. Hang in there!