Wiki help w/ DX code for ECG!

mass31

Contributor
Best answers
Patient came in for ECG recently feeling confused has a history of left parietal cavernoma s/p resection the ECG was normal expect for where the known skull defect is...Do I code the cavernoma as the reason for the test even though the patient has had a resection? and if so what is the correct code 228.02? or should it be the confusion? confusion codes to 298.9 unspecified psychosis which will be denied by medicare... :confused:

Patient came in for ECG recently feeling confused has a history of left parietal cavernoma s/p resection the ECG was normal expect for where the known skull defect is...Do I code the cavernoma as the reason for the test even though the patient has had a resection? and if so what is the correct code 228.02? or should it be the confusion? confusion codes to 298.9 unspecified psychosis which will be denied by medicare... :confused:

the code you have selected 298.9 is in the category for nonorganic psychosis. I do not believe this is the diagnosis the provider intended when he arote confusion. perhaps you should look at altered mental status in the 780 category. you need a symptom code for the symptom of being confused not a psychosis diagnosis. You would not use the 228.02 code as that condidtion was excized. I would clarify with the provider that his intention was altered mental status.