Wiki Help when a patient reacts to a chemo drug

myando

New
Best answers
I am trying to find documentation on how to bill chemotherapy charges when a patient has a drug reaction during the infusion. I believe we are able to bill the total dose of drug we mixed including waste. Any help to be able to find the documentation would be greatly appreciated!

I spoke to my phamacist and if the bag is hung and chemo begins and the patient has an allergic reaction, they are billed for the drug. We do not bill it as waste.

Thank you for the reply Traci! Can you tell me where your pharmacist got that information? Some kind of guidelines or protocols? Thank you!

I understand the billing for the full drug but I have a question on this same issue of how do you bill the time? We gave a drug that generally runs 1 hr but pt reacted after 5 minutes. Should we only bill as a push or can we bill for the intended infusion time? Any suggestions?

It is my understanding that you can only bill for the time that the drug flowed, not how it was intended. We have orders that may state over 30 minutes but it may have been given for 15 minutes, we have to charge as a push.