Wiki help with a code

As directed in the ICD-9 Volume 2 Index under "Mass" under "specified organ NEC - see Disease of specified organ or site". Under "Disease" "adrenal (gland) (capsule) (cortex)" code 255.9 is listed.

I agree with the one respondent that said go to Disease, Adrenal, etc., but I would rather use 255.8, Other specified disorders of adrenal glands. In my thinking, it's not an unspecified disorder - it is a mass. I personally feel more comfortable using this code, rather than unspecified. That's my 2 cents worth.:)

239.7 for unspecified, or 227.0 benign (if known)

If you look to the coding clinics on this you ill see that the unspecified neoplasm codes are to be used after a preliminary diagnostic study has been done which then reveals a dx of a tumor. This can then be coded as an unspecified neoplasm until more definitive studies can detail the morphology. In other words after the preliminary study ( like a CT scan) the physician now knows it is not a cyst or an abscess. You cannot of course use a benign dx with a path report that states benign. And you may not use Neoplasm uncertain behavior without a path report either. So in this instance the only possible choice is the 255.9 or 255.8.

No incision = E/M only

Can you please tell me if CPT code 10120 is acceptable to use for fishhook removal.
Also, can a 52 modifier be used when a foreign body is removed without an incision?
mquinlan@infinityhealthcare.com

No incision equals an E/M service only.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

P.S.- You should really start a new thread when your question has nothing to do with the existing thread.

thanks for everyones thought.. I was considering the 255.8 and 255.9 myself, but had a co-worker that was going with the neoplasm thinking...thanks for the clarification!