Wiki Help with casting

HKOFOID

Networker
Best answers
One of my physicians applied a cast for a broken arm. We are still in the global period for that care, but the patient broke the cast and came in and seen a different doctor here in the office to have another cast put back on. Is this global or can I bill for the casting again?

Replacement cast applications may billed along with supplies. It is helpful to append modifier 58 to the application as it is a planned or staged procedure during a post operative period. This generally happens on scheduled followup visits. The situation of the patient breaking the cast, however, adds a new twist. If the patient broke the cast due to negligence, he/she may need to be responsible for a new one. I recently had a carrier deny a re-application because at the bottom of the superbill was a tiny little note that said. "The pt's dog bit a hole in cast." ...Just something to consider.

casting

its not under the global period, because reapply by another group of dr so coded separetly with appropriate DOS.

Same group - different doctor

its not under the global period, because reapply by another group of dr so coded separetly with appropriate DOS.

Actually, the way I read the post, this is the same group, but a different doctor. For billing purposes all physicians of the same specialty in the same practice are considered the same doctor.

Nevertheless ... recasting can be coded during the global period.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC