Wiki Help with CPT for drainage and debridement of abscess

PLDalsoren

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I need help coding the correct CPT code for drainage and debridement of a back abscess. The NPP said the patient has an abscess on the lower back. She did not make an incision because there was already an opening. The wound was drained, debrided, washed and packed. I'm not sure what the correct code to report is for this. I initially thought it would be 10061 but since there was no incision made, I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Was there necrotic tissue present? Or just devitalized tissue?

11042 would be surgical debridement of necrotic tissue, which includes removing healthy tissue to ensure a clean wound.

97597 is "Removal of devitalized tissue from wound(s), selective debridement, without anesthesia (e.g., high pressure waterjet with/without suction, sharp selective debridement with scissors, scalpel and forceps), with or without topical application(s), wound assessment, and instruction(s) for ongoing care, may include use of a whirlpool." When they say without anesthesia, they mean general or regional anesthesia; local/topical anesthesia is assumed as a part of the procedure.