Wiki Help with mva patient

nmalpass

Best answers
Have a patient involved in a MVA and she wants us to file her MV insurance. What are your experiences with this? I was always told to file patients private insurance and it's then upto the private insurance to go after the MVA? Help please not sure what direction to go with this.

Thanks

You can bill the auto insurance; it's a good idea to call the vehicle insurance company/ agent first. There should be a claim number or some sort of reference number to put on your claim and you can find out the exact address to send claims. Auto insurance companies I've dealt with take paper claims (not set up for electronic) and make sure to include a copy of the note. If you get a denial from the auto insurance saying the personal injury benefits were maxed out, then you can bill the health insurance and include the denial info from the auto ins. Our experience is that the private health insurer won't 'go after' the vehicle ins carrier; if you send it to the health insurance first and they know it was an mva, they'll just deny it and say you have to bill the vehicle ins carrier. Hope this helps.

I agree it is best to call the MV first. Some pay out direct to the patient which means the patient has the money! If you do submit to the MV be sure to use the correct E code for the Accident specifying occupant or driver, and include the E code for place such as hwy as it is very important to them. Also if an activity applies then use that as well, such as txting while driving.