Wiki Help with Op Report-Knee Coders.

nikkisgranny

Best answers
OPERATION(S):

1. RIGHT KNEE ARTHROSCOPY, PARTIAL LATERAL MENISECTOMY (EXCISION OF RADIAL AND ANTERIOR HORN HOIZONTAL CLEAVAGE COMPONENT).

2. PERIPHERAL REPAIR OF COMMUNICATION OF LATERAL MENISCUS TEAR TO CYST.

3. INTRA-ARTICULAR EVACUATION OF LATERAL MENISCUS CYST.

Op Report Reads:

"The patellofemoral joint, medial compartment, medial meniscus, anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments were normal. The lateral meniscus pathology was identified. WE RESECTED THE ANTERIOR HORN OF THE LATERAL MENISCUS with side-biting basket punches from an anteromedial portal with visualization from an accessory medial peripateallar portal. The remaining mid body and POSTERIOR HORN WAS CAREFULLY SAUCERIZED AND TRIMMED to a well-contoured rim with instrumentation from the anterolateral portal. All loose fragments were removed from the joint.

THE ARTHROSCOPIC SHAVER WAS PLACED THROUGH THE DEGENERATIVE TEAR AND HOLE IN THE MID BODY OF THE LATERAL MENISCUS AND OUT INTO THE MENISCUS CYST. THE TISSUE WAS SCRAPED AND SHAVED. WE WERE ABLE TO EVACUATE THE CONTENTS OF THIS CYST WITH EXTERNAL DIGITAL PRESSURE INTO THE KNEE JOINT, AND THIS YELLOWISH, GELATINOUS MATERIAL WAS EVACUATED WITH A SHAVER."

Do I use 29882 (717.1, 717.2)
OR
29882 (717.2), 29881-50 (717.1)

I don't know what the evacuation would fall under.

Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

I believe this would be a Lateral Meniscectomy 29881 only. It doesn't seem the physician performed a repair when reading the body of the operative report. Hope this helps.:p

Good point. I keep looking at that as well and have the doctor further explain.

Saucerized and trimmed--does not mean 'repair'-Correct?

correct, only the 29881, since the cyst was in the lateral compartment, which is the same compartment as the meniscectomy, unfortunately there is nothing else to capture.

Mary, CPC,COSC