Wiki Help with POS 20 in clinic??

pammalou

Networker
Best answers
We are a clinic which takes appointments as well as walk in, "urgent care" as well. Are we able to use POS 20 for the "urgent care" walk-in patients and still use our clinic POS for the others?? Or is it needed to be designated by some regulatory body as a straight Urgent Care facility? Some insurance companies have different benefits for urgent care visits for someone walking in with broken bones, sick and can't be seen by their primary doctor, fishing hook in hand, etc... and wondering if we can use this POS 20 or if we would be better off sending them to the ER for these issues. (I don't believe that the ER would be the better option). I am not sure on this issue and would appreciate any help on this one.

POS 20 is for freestanding urgent cares only. It would be incorrect to use this if you are located in a clinic (11) or any other facility with its own place of service code.

I used to have urgent cares in clinic settings and a lot of patients were mad because of the difference in benefits, but it is still a lot cheaper than going to the ER.

Laura, CPC, CEMC