Wiki Help with procedure.

GastroGal

Best answers
Colonoscopy was performed on patient for rectal bleeding, cecum/terminal ileum was reached. there was large amounts of blood and clots in left colon, blood washed out revealing severe diverticulosis but no specific bleeding site. Patient was observed for a couple of hours in endoscopy unit and brought back for Sigmoidoscopy. Sigmoidoscopy showed fresh blood and clots in proximal sigmoid at 50 cm. this was washed and cleaned revealing numerous diverticula. There was a diverticulum with some adherent clot and some trace bleeding. This was closed with clips and injected with 2 cc epinephrine (1:10,000) . no further bleeding noted. Would i use 45378 as well as 45334 with 76 modifier on 45378 or just 45382? any help would be appreciated.

I believe I would code as 45378 and then 45334-76(i had thought about 78 but since they intentionally held the patient in the unit I went with 76). I don't think it would be 45382 as the control of bleeding was not done during the initial procedure(colonoscopy), it was actually a separate procedure done at a later time.

Hope this helps!