Wiki Help with Tracheostomy tube placement via bronchoscope

cjrottum

Contributor
Best answers
So I am reading the operative report and it shows that first a bronchoscope was used and then a guidewire placed through the trachea. The incision was then made at the site of the guidewire, guidewire and scope removed, tube placed and then the cuff was inflated, tube secured, hooked to ventilator then bronchoscope was introduced through the tracheostomy to ensure good position.

What code would I use. I would say this is planned because pt was admitted with C-spine trauma on 5/25 and this was performed on 5/26. When I read the definition of 31600-31603 in the desk reference it does not say anything about a scope being used for placement and he dose not discuss that he dissected the muscles of the trachea. He used the guidewire for placement and then used dilators to widen the incision until he could place the tube directly into the trachea (seems to be a very efficient way to do it). Is this describing intubation maybe as in 31500?

Please help with this one as I am wanting to make sure to capture all components of this.
Thanks!!