Wiki Hemicolectomy with Brooke ileostomy

R1CPC

Guru
Best answers
doctor removed cecum, ascending colon, up to transverse colon, part of terminal ileum was resected to create a brooke ileostomy. What CPT do we use??? Help please

but he brought out the ileum as an ileostomy how would this apply to cpt 44141?

thanks for your responce but I'm looking at the definition of a brooke type ileostomy and I don't see how this is a double barrel

The Brooke ileostomy is the second most common
type of ileostomy surgery. The terminal ileum is pulled
through the abdominal wall and a segment is turned
back and sutured to the skin, leaving a smooth, rounded,
everted ileum as the end of the ileostomy.
The stoma is usually placed in the right lower
quadrant whenever possible and located on a flat surface
sufficiently free from irregularities. The fecal output is not
controlled and will require wearing a collection pouch.

What part defines the double barel?

A vertical midline incision
was made with scalpel and dissection was carried down through subcutaneous
tissue down to linea alba, which was opened vertically. I explored the entire
abdomen with the above findings. I then mobilized the lateral attachments of the ascending colon using Bovie electrocautery. I then mobilized the hepatic flexure. I got to the area of very healthy, viable mid to transverse colon and transected the colon with the GIA stapler at this point. I then could see that the terminal ileum was quite clean and viable; I transected the bowel at this point with another GIA. Subsequent ascending colon mesentery was taken downwith a LigaSure device, inclusive of the appendix. I might add also that I could see the right tube and ovary and uterus and they were all atrophic. I then removed the ascending colon and sent it to pathology.I decided to give the patient an ileostomy. I brought out the ileum in the right mid abdomen excising a core of skin and subcutaneous fatty tissue. A cruciate incision was made in the anterior rectus sheath. I then brought out end terminal ileum as an end ileostomy.I then irrigated the abdomen with a liter of normal saline. I made sure I hadgood meticulous hemostasis. I draped the omentum over the small bowel and closed the midline abdominal wound with a running looped 0 PDS suture. I then closed the skin loosely with staples. I then matured the ileostomy with a 3-0 chromic suture. This was a Brooke ileostomy. Coloplast bag was applied.

If the path shows he removed the terminal ileum go with 44160 and 44310 (with appropriate modifier) for the ileostomy, but if the path show only the ascending colon I would look at 44140 and 44310. Usually the Brooke ileostomy is a temporary ileostomy.