Wiki Hemilaminectomy

HOWRU2DAY

Networker
Best answers
I am new to ortho surgery coding. I am having trouble with the hemilaminectomy. I am told the note below is coded as 63047 and 63048. I was thinking that it would be 63030 and 69990 can anyone explain what I am missing.

Sharp skin incision was performed. Electrocautery dissection was performed to the posterior elements . A left paraspinal approach took place at L4-5. The level was confirmed with fluoroscopy. Self retaining retractors were placed. The microscope was brought in.

Decompression continued with hemilaminectomy on the left of L4 and L5 with medial facetectomies and foraminotomies. Gentle retraction of the neural elements revealed a large disk herniation with extruded componets. This was removed in 2 large fragment and 1 smaller fragment. Following decompression, the neural elements were completely free and clear. The entire decompression was performed with the use of the operative microscope.

I would suggest to code 63030 (Along with herniation disk was excised)
See the below

Surgery
Nervous System
Spine and Spinal Cord
(For application of caliper or tongs, use 20660)
(For treatment of fracture or dislocation of spine, see 22305-22327)
Posterior Extradural Laminotomy or Laminectomy for Exploration/Decompression of Neural Elements or Excision of Herniated Intervertebral Disks
(When 63001-63048 are followed by arthrodesis, see 22590-22614)
63020 Laminotomy (hemilaminectomy), with decompression of nerve root(s), including partial facetectomy, foraminotomy and/or excision of herniated intervertebral disc ;1 interspace, cervical
(For bilateral procedure, report 63020 with modifier 50)
63030 1 interspace, lumbar
(For bilateral procedure, report 63030 with modifier 50)

Srinivasan CPC