Question HEREDITARY GENETIC CANCER PANEL

Tara0513

Networker
Best answers
I am really hoping someone out there can help me with this question. My independent lab is starting up testing for hereditary genetic cancer panels. We are testing 53 genes, with subtype cancer panels. The specimen will be salvia, not blood. I see alot of codes that state specimen blood. Coders, is the specimen type really important when coding? I can not find codes that will cover the comprehensive 53 gene panel and the sub panels. I do see some codes state specimen varies (but they are few, and will not cover all that we are performing). So, I am concerned about how to code. I am really hoping that someone can help me. Hopefully this thread doesnt sound like one big ramble. I have been racking my brain for weeks trying to come up a coding guideline to present.

Have you tried checking YouTube? I am checking on YouTube to see if they have information on Pathology Coding. I have not looked for this though. Will check on this as I am curious now too.

I am really hoping someone out there can help me with this question. My independent lab is starting up testing for hereditary genetic cancer panels. We are testing 53 genes, with subtype cancer panels. The specimen will be salvia, not blood. I see alot of codes that state specimen blood. Coders, is the specimen type really important when coding? I can not find codes that will cover the comprehensive 53 gene panel and the sub panels. I do see some codes state specimen varies (but they are few, and will not cover all that we are performing). So, I am concerned about how to code. I am really hoping that someone can help me. Hopefully this thread doesnt sound like one big ramble. I have been racking my brain for weeks trying to come up a coding guideline to present.
I found something on You tube about this and it seems like even though it says it is physician ordered it will most likely be patient responsibility. But it may depend on the insurance. Not sure. See you tube video

It didn't give the CPT codes. But the website might have more. The co-founder of the Color Genomics is Othman Laraki.

Hope that is helpful.
wjensen