Wiki hernia coding - I just want to double check

herrera4

Guru
Best answers
I just want to double check--i am only seeing one repair for hernia, right, even though it says umbilical hernia was after inguinal--but doesnt dictate inguinal, before i go ask to redictate his note,because thats always fun

FINDINGS: Operative findings included approximately a 1 cm umbilical hernia defect containing preperitoneal fat. There was a primarily direct and femoral hernia in the groin. At the completion of the hernia repair the umbilical hernia sac was entered. Fascial edges were freshened. The hernia contents which were comprised of preperitoneal fat were excised. Bleeding was controlled with cautery. The resultant defect was closed with interrupted sutures of #0 Vicryl. The wounds were then closed in standard fashion with Vicryl.
PROCEDURE: The patient was brought to the Operating Room and placed in a supine position. Following induction of IV sedation he was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion using Betadine scrub and solution. After the infiltration of local anesthesia, an incision was made at the superior aspect of the umbilicus. This was carried down to the level of the fascia. The hernia sac was entered sharply without injury, in line with the viscera. The redundant portion of the sac was excised and the fascial edges were freshened. No bleeding was noted. The Marlex mesh was then placed into the peritoneal cavity. The mesh tails were then pulled up thus opposing the mesh to the abdominal wall, using vertical mattress sutures through the anterior Marlex layer. The wound was irrigated with Ancef solution and closed in layers using 2-0 Vicryl for the subcutaneous tissue followed by subcuticular 4-0 Vicryl for the skin. This was followed by Steri-strips, dry sterile dressing, and Tegaderm.

I only see one hernia repair in the note. If they did both then doc needs to redictate because the femoral hernia repair is not in there.