Heterozygous Factor V Leiden

kewing

Networker
Best answers
I'm looking for opinions/suggestions regarding the most appropriate ICD 10 code for a patient who is heterozygous for the Factor V Leiden mutation. I'm hesitant to use D68.51, especially when the physician documents that heterozygosity does not necessarily increase thrombophilia risk. Q99.8? Other ideas?

Thanks much.

Karen

Factor V Leiden heterozygosity

I see no one ever responded to your thread. Did you ever find an answer? I've just come across a note with this same diagnosis and here is what I found. I use EncoderPro and if you go to D68.51 (or the ICD 9 code 289.81), under the code it lists problems that fall within that code category and Factor V Leiden Mutation is in the list. But, I then researched the difference between "mutation vs heterozygosity". I found that heterozygosity just refers to a specific genotype, but there is a mutation either way. So based on this, I went with the D68.51.

Sharon Hunter, CPC, CGSC

I see no one ever responded to your thread. Did you ever find an answer? I've just come across a note with this same diagnosis and here is what I found. I use EncoderPro and if you go to D68.51 (or the ICD 9 code 289.81), under the code it lists problems that fall within that code category and Factor V Leiden Mutation is in the list. But, I then researched the difference between "mutation vs heterozygosity". I found that heterozygosity just refers to a specific genotype, but there is a mutation either way. So based on this, I went with the D68.51.

Sharon Hunter, CPC, CGSC

Thanks, I just was researching this as well. Appreciate the help.