Wiki HGH injections

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
We have new patient who is coming to us for the purpose of having nutropin injected into ankle joint. Patient has been getting these in past from different doc out of state....(not even going to touch how doc out of state billed)

the med is fda approved..but not for the purposes we will be injecting, and patient is providing the meds....can we bill the 20605 to insurance company even though the "reason" we are injecting is not fda indicated? We will not be billing the med as patient is providing.

Any one have any experience with this kind of thing?

I would think it would depend on the diagnosis....if it is for arthritis, and the pt is supplying the medication, my thought would be yes, I would bill the 20605. The only other thing I can come up with is to just bill for a therapeutic injection instead, ie 96372, but then I don't know that this is entirely appropriate either. Anyone else? :)

follow up

just in case anyone is interested....I had opportunity to speak to Margie Vaught.....she told me Medicare policy is "if medication is not approved medication they will not reimburse for injection either"

for all other ins. it is a payor issue and you should call and get their policy on this.