Wiki High Risk OB diagnosis

m.matos@chcfl.com

Contributor
Best answers
Question 1: I notice at the beginning of the 648 codes right under 648 in red it states " Use additional code(s) to identify condition"

Is this a rule for all codes that begin with 648? Does this mean that they all require an additional code?

As i continue to read through the section only some of them say again to use an addtional code in red, like 649.1.

Question 2: If a patient has a condition such as anemia that is being managed by the OB but there is no documenation that this is posing a threat to the pregancy, would this be coded from the Complications of pregnancy area of the book?

Question 1: I notice at the beginning of the 648 codes right under 648 in red it states " Use additional code(s) to identify condition"

Is this a rule for all codes that begin with 648? Does this mean that they all require an additional code?

As i continue to read through the section only some of them say again to use an addtional code in red, like 649.1.

Question 2: If a patient has a condition such as anemia that is being managed by the OB but there is no documenation that this is posing a threat to the pregancy, would this be coded from the Complications of pregnancy area of the book?

Question 1 - Yes we need to add additional code for 648 series as per instructions given in book.

Question 2 - If anemia is documented for pregnant lady, then we need to assume relation and code 6 series code. Always 6 series codes takes priority in OB cases.
In this case code 285.9 as a secondary code to the 648.23, also the coding guidelines will instruct you to code this way.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shruthi

Thank you for your speedy response! These is what I though. I am meeting with my Ob providers tomorrow and I wanted to make sure that I am correct when advising them of this.

Anemia and pregnancy

Category 4. Disease of the Blood & Blood Forming Organs - just above the subcategory there is an excludes note.
EXCLUDES anemia complicating pregnancy........648.2

If 648.2x is warranted for a pregnant patient with anemia would the very specifc exclude note over ride the chapter specific guideline 1.c11.e indicating to code secondary.