Wiki Hip arthroscopic IT band release and greater trochanteric bursectomy

ntvanessa

New
Best answers
I'm struggling with this. Hope someone can help solve this puzzle. My supervisor showed me an article from NLM published in 2021 for hip in which they suggested the coding as attached for hip procedure. I feel that just billing 29999 for both arthroscopic IT release and bursectomy the provider won't get all the reimbursement for the work he did. Copy of the operative report below for review. Appreciate the help!!!

60 mL of normal saline was then injected directly over the IT band in the midportion of the trochanter to displace the soft tissues. Distal incision was made approximately 2 cm below the vastus ridge. In a proximal incision was made approximately 2 cm above the tip of the greater trochanter. The soft tissue was then bluntly dissected off the IT band using the camera trocar. Camera was then placed and the shaver was then used to visualize the IT band by removing a small amount of the soft tissue overlying it. Spinal needle was then placed in the mid aspect of the greater trochanter. This was utilized as a guide to split the IT band. The IT band was then split with an ArthroCare wand just to the posterior aspect of the midportion of the trochanter. 2 transverse splits were then made one anteriorly and one posteriorly in the standard fashion approximately 1 cm long in each direction. The greater trochanteric bursa was noted to be very thickened. This was then split using a frequency wand being careful not to injure the vastus lateralis fascia or the abductor tendons. The motorized shaver was then used to debride out the remaining greater trochanteric bursa. Care was taken not to go to posterior in the region of the sciatic nerve. Once a good decompression and release of the IT band was obtained the camera was then switched to the opposite portal and the release was further checked and noted to be sufficient. Final pictures were taken.

1645560118856.jpeg

I am not sure where that diagram is from. I don't agree with the lower part where it is advising to append a 22 to an unlisted code. Unlisted codes have no "value" and no description therefore, there is nothing to modify. Some payers still want modifiers on unlisted but it's not technically correct. "Can I use modifiers with unlisted codes? It is not appropriate to append any modifier to an unlisted code because modifiers are used to indicate that a service or procedure has been altered by some specific circumstance, but not changed in its definition or code. Unlisted codes do not describe a specific service; therefore, it is not necessary to utilize modifiers. CPT Assistant August 2002"

There is no CPT for arthroscopic IT band lengthening. You would have to use an unlisted CPT 29999 and I would compare it to 27025 for pricing.
There's also no CPT for arthroscopic trochanteric bursectomy. Because they were done in the same anatomic area you can only report 29999 once. You have to compare it to both 27025 & 27062 and make sure it priced correctly. The claim will be delayed depending on payer for the op report and you have to have a detailed explanation of the procedure. You'll also have to fight for correct payment once the claim is processed on the AR side.

"Can I use multiple unlisted codes? When performing two or more procedures that require the use of the same unlisted code, the unlisted code should be reported only once to identify the services provided (same anatomic locations). This is due to the fact that the unlisted code does not identify a specific unit value or service. If two or more procedures that require the use of an unlisted code are performed on different anatomic locations the unlisted code may be reported for each different anatomic location. CPT Assistant November 2010 and CPT Assistant April 2012"

Thank you Amy. Great answer! I wonder when they will introduce a new CPT code for this. I understand this procedure has been performed for years by many surgeons. Unfortunately, this won't be easy to fight for proper reimbursement.

Thank you Amy. Great answer! I wonder when they will introduce a new CPT code for this. I understand this procedure has been performed for years by many surgeons. Unfortunately, this won't be easy to fight for proper reimbursement.
You're welcome. There is a whole process that goes into it. I doubt there will be new ones anytime soon for hip scopes.