Wiki HIPPA and ICD-10

Best answers
I am reading the Coding institute number 4, April 2014 and there is a question I can't seem to understand no matter how many times I read it out loud. Anyone have any other way to describe this.

page 27
1. Will we have to change our notice of privacy practices?

Answer:
Only if you have specific ICD-9 codes on them, said NGS?s Alicia Forbes, CPC, on the call. For instance, if your privacy notice is so specific that it states, ?Please list the names and phone numbers of any family members with whom we can discuss your breast cancer (ICD-9 code 174.1, Malignant neoplasm of central portion of female breast),? this would have to be changed to the appropriate ICD-10 code, such as C50.111,Malignant neoplasm of central portion of right female breast.

I am drawing an absolutley blank face - head is spinning.

I do not see in any capacity how ICD-10 is affecting privacy. My ICD-10 code doesn't change the nature of HIPPA. Privacy is Privacy. If I don't change my ICD-9 code to an ICD-10 code, I'm still not allowed to talk to someone without permission. Additionally, once ICD-10 goes live, ICD-9 won't be an issue.

I cannot draw the line to each other how ICD-10 is affecting privacy.

Can anyone help clear this up for me? What am I missing?

The example used by the NGS rep makes sense - the NPP she uses has a specific ICD-9 code. Since that will have to be changed to the ICD-10 code, that means the NPP will have to be changed to reflect the update and therefore the notice to all patients who recieved a copy of the old NPP will have to be provided the new one or be able to access the new one per the regulations.

Yes, I agree, on the surface your question makes sense - and 99.9% of the NPP's in use don't have ICD-9 codes like the example. But in the instances where there is one, it would have to be updated.

seriously.....ohhhhhhhhh......

That makes sense and I completly understand now. Thank you very much. I really do appreciate your response.