Wiki HIPPA violation or not?

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
I have a co-worker that sent a patient statement out and on the OUTSIDE of the envelope, she had wrote, payment required !! - is this a violation of HIPPA? I cannot find an answer to this

My take on this is just because someone is getting a bill from a medical facility doesn't mean they were the patient. It could be they are the guarantor for someone so I do not know that this constitutes a violation of HIPPA. I am not an expert though - this is just how I see it. Hope this helps!

I am going with yes because it is on the same lines as making a phone call and leaving a message regarding payment due. The most you can do is ask for a prompt response for the request inside the envolope.

Return address

It might also depend on whether your statements go out with a return address that identifies the sender as a medical facility / physician office.

If your return address, for example, is just: P O Box 1234, City, ST zip
It would be hard to argue you've given any indication to anyone other than the address that this is for a medical bill.

Again ... best to check with your attorneys for clarification ... and to ensure that your employees are properly trained.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

While this certainly doesn't help customer relations - in order to be a HIPAA violation, the information must meet the definition of PHI, or protected health information. This would be information that can be used to identify the patient. There is already information that does so on the envelope - name, address, etc. And we are assuming that this information is being sent to the correct person at the correct address....adding "Payment due" does not further identify the patient.

I agree with MnTwins29. I don't think that it's a HIPAA violation, but you may still want to check on it, because it could be a collections issue. In our collections rules we can't put past due or final notice on the outside of the envelope.

Take on HIPAA question

I would say this is definately a HIPAA violation...but then, it seems so many organizations are doing this sort of thing...envelopes with bold printed letters on the outside: IMPORTANT DOCUMENT ENCLOSED, STATEMENT ENCLOSED, IMPORTANT STUDENT REPORT, OR, FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION ENCLOSED, ID CARD ENCLOSED, IMPORTANT MEDICAL TEST RESULTS (can you believe that one?) Iv'e complained, but they repeat. I have actually received all of these types of envelopes, including one where the window was so large, it showed the amount of the check and where it was from. Isn't it a HIPAA violation when you request medical appointments...not be sent by postcard (pretty tacky) but they continue to send them?