Wiki Hippa violation

reree

New
Best answers
I work for the same office that handles my Health care I am unable to access my chart. Medical records has told me that it is a Violation of HIPPA if I am allowed to go into my chart. Does anyone know where that Law is written in HPPA? And I am the Onl;y Coder in this Office

Last edited:
Oh, my....be very careful! We had a situation like this happen for one of the major medical institutions where workers were terminated/and or sanctioned for viewing their charts or that of their spouses/and dependent children. Not sure exactly what portion of HIPAA or how this was interpreted other than violating company policy but I do not think accessing your chart during your work hours would be in your best interests. I'm sure others will provide a more detailed explanation but I'd be very careful and you're wise to seek additional clarification!

I work for the same office that handles my Health care I am unable to access my chart. Medical records has told me that it is a Violation of HIPPA if I am allowed to go into my chart. Does anyone know where that Law is written in HPPA? And I am the Onl;y Coder in this Office

HIPAA doesn't say that you can't access your own chart; more than likely, that policy was put in place to ensure that you won't be able to change any information in your chart. Rules are rules, though. If they tell you that you can't access it on your own record, then you'll have to go through the formal request process, which is mentioned in HIPAA. You have a right to access your records; but you should have to go through the same request channels as everyone else. On a side note; it may be viewed as a conflict of interest for you to code your own visits. You might want to find out if there's anyone else available to take care of that for you. Just a thought... ;)

We are not allowed to go in our own chart as well, so I always get my co-worker to code my chart, but in your case there is no one to do that. That's a tough situation. Can you sign a release and have someone wittness it?