Hoffa's Fat Pad Disease is a Metabolic Disorder??

dgunn

Contributor
Best answers
"Hoffa's Syndrome is a condition in which the infrapatellar fat pad either suffers a contusion or an injury, resulting in damage and swelling. This can lead to the Hoffa's pad becoming trapped between the femur and the patella every time the leg is extended."

Hoffa's Fat Pad Disease/Hoffa's Syndrome/Fat Pad Impingement seems to be the result of an injury. The ICD-10 index directs me to code Hoffa's Disease as E88.89. E88.89 is "Other specified metabolic disorders."

Per Wikipedia: A metabolic disorder can happen when abnormal chemical reactions in the body alter the normal metabolic process. It can also be defined as inherited single gene anomaly, most of which are autosomal recessive.

This does not make sense to me. It doesn't seem like this is a metabolic disorder but rather the result of an injury. Does anyone know more about this condition? Or why we are directed to code as a metabolic disorder? Please help!

Hoffa's Disease

Hoffa's Disease is inflammation &/or hypertrophy of the Infrapatellar Fat Pad, which lies deep to the Patellar Tendon in the front of the knee joint below the Patella. Basically it fills space in the front of the joint. The inflammation causes swelling of the fat pad, which over time can result in hypertrophy/enlargement of the fat pad. It can be a cause of Anterior Knee Pain. It is a local phenomenon, not a metabolic disorder. The ICD-10 code is M79.4.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com
icd10orthocoder.com/blog: Knee Pain and ICD-10

Hoffa's Disease is inflammation &/or hypertrophy of the Infrapatellar Fat Pad, which lies deep to the Patellar Tendon in the front of the knee joint below the Patella. Basically it fills space in the front of the joint. The inflammation causes swelling of the fat pad, which over time can result in hypertrophy/enlargement of the fat pad. It can be a cause of Anterior Knee Pain. It is a local phenomenon, not a metabolic disorder. The ICD-10 code is M79.4.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com
icd10orthocoder.com/blog: Knee Pain and ICD-10

M79.4 is what I ended up using. I was pretty positive it was just a misprint in my book, but it's always a good idea to make sure. Thanks for your input!