Wiki Holter Monitor/MCOT

Best answers
I am trying to figure out how to code a Holter monitor for the first 48 hours that then converts to a mcot up to 7 days. The patient doesn't come back in for another monitor or anything like that, it is all the same monitor. I'm thinking I need to use codes 93241 for the first 48 hours and then code 93229 for the remaining days; however the 93229 states the DOS must be reported as the DOS the patient was initially placed on the monitor. So I am at a stand still with this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The date of service is reported on the claim as the date the monitoring period is initiated. (Google search of course). If the first 48 hours is for the Holter, and then switches to MCOT after that 48 time frame, could you not use the date that MCOT started?

The date of service is reported on the claim as the date the monitoring period is initiated. (Google search of course). If the first 48 hours is for the Holter, and then switches to MCOT after that 48 time frame, could you not use the date that MCOT started?
Thank you so much for responding.
This is what I found when researching.
The following documentation requirements apply to all claims reporting CPT code 93228 and/or 93229:
The date of service must be reported as the date the patient was initially placed on the monitor....
This is where my problem is. I can't see how to get around it.

Thank you so much for responding.
This is what I found when researching.
The following documentation requirements apply to all claims reporting CPT code 93228 and/or 93229:
The date of service must be reported as the date the patient was initially placed on the monitor....
This is where my problem is. I can't see how to get around it.
Sorry, good luck. Hope someone in CoderLand can help.

Hello Cyndi
Bill the holter/event monitors with the date of the interpretation not the date it was placed. There is nothing to review and interpret until the patient wears the monitor and is recording for whatever amount of days/time the physician has recommended. Code selection is based on the number of days worn. I see the Medicare LCD also states to bill the DOS when the monitor was placed, this wasnt always the case. kinda confusing because for a 24-48 hr holter monitor, it says to bill the date of physician review and interpretation.

Attachments

• Holter & event monitors.PNG
    Holter & event monitors.PNG
    88.1 KB · Views: 11