Wiki Home Dialysis Training

stockekt

Best answers
Hello,

I have a new Nephrologist that is doing training for patients to do home dialysis. Medicare states that you can bill for this training by using 90989 "Dialysis training, patient, including helper where applicable, any mode, completed course". Does anyone know what "Completed" consist of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it means you can ONLY bill for the home dialysis training the date the patient completes training. He may have seen the pt. in trianing today, but the patients last day of training may be 02/13/2015(completed date). You will find this information out by contacting the dialysis center, and asking PD nurse what date did the pt. complete training.

Hopes this makes sense! nephrology is such a complex specialty.

Thanks for responding, Is there a certain number of visit required in order to bill for the completed code? The reason I ask is there is a code 90993 for each session not to exceed 25 visits. What is the difference in 90989 and 90993?

You are welcome. We will occasionally bill 90993 that is considered incomplete or daily training. This code should ONLY be billed if the physician is postive that the pt will never be able to complete training (i.e a drastic change in health, hospice, or death). In this case you would bill each day that the physician participated in training. Example: 02/01/2015, 02/03/2015. Or if it was just one day, then you would bill the date the physician participated..... 90989 is considered the completed code, and is only billed the last day that the patient is done with training.

Please note, that physicians can ONLY bill either code ONCE during a pt.'s lifetime.

How much participation by the physican is required/recommonded to bill the 90989/90993? Is documentation for each training session needed?