Wiki Home Health Coding

Best answers
Good morning fellow coders! I have been working at the same HHC company since I started as a medical coder, but I am beginning to wonder if my company is following proper procedure. I keep getting conflicting information, it's been changing every few months, and it's starting to raise some red flags. I have a few questions, and I'm not entirely sure how to ask, but let me try:

1. If your company takes the same patient more than once, do you keep the Dx codes from the previous certification period? Or do you delete them and only enter the new ones?

2. What is the time frame that is acceptable to get Dx from? I have been told 2 years, 1 year, and 3 months
And on a similar note, does the time for that start when the patient was diagnosed, or from the date of service when it was mentioned? Example: history of hypothyroidism onset March, 2019, on an October 15, 2021 visit note.

3. If a provider sends you a signed referral with certain diagnoses listed, but doesn't mention them in the actual visit note, can you still use those codes?

4. When ordering the codes, should the primary code be what the patient was referred for, regardless of the clinical group, or does it have to be a code that is part of a clinical group?