Wiki Home Health

ancoleman22

Networker
Best answers
Hey everybody! I am looking for some help. I recently got employed with a home health/hospice agency and as some may know it is a whole new way of thinking in regards to coding. I am trying to find some educational website that I can learn more about home health coding and OASIS. Does anybody have tips, websites, advice, etc. I would just like any help so I feel like I have a better grasp on this whole new field! Thanks so much! :)

I just private messaged a gal in regards to this same thing. I have to recently taken on a home health and hospice biller/coder position and it is way different than my 22 years in a physician office. So I am going to follow this thread :)

Home Health guidance

Hey everybody! I am looking for some help. I recently got employed with a home health/hospice agency and as some may know it is a whole new way of thinking in regards to coding. I am trying to find some educational website that I can learn more about home health coding and OASIS. Does anybody have tips, websites, advice, etc. I would just like any help so I feel like I have a better grasp on this whole new field! Thanks so much! :)

I'm a Home Health certified coder, and when I first started, the only guidance I had was my ICD-10-CM manual, but it was published for Home Health.

That makes a big difference, so make sure you get a Home Health version of the ICD-10-CM manual.

There are many out there, Optum, Ingenix, we use Decision Health and I love it.

Great manual, tons of guidance and scenarios for every chapter as well as chapter guidance.

The other thing I did when I first started was to use my google fu, do search terms for whatever condition you are trying to code. for example

Coding Aftercare CABG Home Health

Coding Amputation Stump Dehiscence Home Health

try to include Coding and Home Health in your search and you will surprised at just how much guidance you can find.

There are a ton of webinar PDF files floating around, and I mean a ton.

It is hit or miss though, sometimes you get lucky.

Also go to Optums website, Decision Healths website, there are a ton of free resources available.

Blogs, newsletters, etc....

Decision Health also sells a ton of training material and ceritification prep material.

I found the Decision Health Scenarios very useful, and found their ICD-10 Scenarios accessible without any kind of subscription, what have you.

I just kept dialing in search terms searching for ICD-10 home health scenarios.

Also, search Youtube

There aren't a ton of videos but there are some if you look

If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I PM'd one of the Mods, regarding getting Home Health added as a category here, so hopefully that happens soon.

It would be nice to acknowledge that niche of the coding profession.

Decision Health offers a Home Health coding forum... similar to this, and the participants often offer links to upcoming home health coding webinars and such. Google Decision Health forums. Judy Adams offers a lot of consulting/education on Home Health. Id look to see where she is doing any seminars. My employer pays for us to go sit in on her meetings... she authored the Decision Health Home Health coding manual.

Outside of that, you have to read that manual. I've learned so much by sitting and reading the Decision Health coding book...