Wiki Hospital Charges/Price Transparency - Need to know location for machine readable files for Chargemaster

apoorba

New
Best answers
Hello all,

I am new to Hospital billing area. As per the FEDERAL REGISTER:

"This final rule establishes requirements for hospitals operating in the United States to establish, update, and make public a list of their standard charges for the items and services that they provide. These actions are necessary to promote price transparency in health care and public access to hospital standard charges. By disclosing hospital standard charges, we believe the public (including patients, employers, clinicians, and other third parties) will have the information necessary to make more informed decisions about their care.

Therefore, we proposed that hospitals make public their standard charges in two ways: (1) A comprehensive machine-readable file that makes public all standard charge information for all hospital items and services (84 FR 39581 through 39585), and (2) a consumer-friendly display of common “shoppable” services derived from the machine-readable file (84 FR 39585 through 39591)..
"

So, I am looking for an online location where these files, released by hospitals would be stored/available for public. This is base for a Chargemaster, I believe. Could anyone point me to such links/file location(s)? This would be a great help. Thank you.

Hello all,

I am new to Hospital billing area. As per the FEDERAL REGISTER:

"This final rule establishes requirements for hospitals operating in the United States to establish, update, and make public a list of their standard charges for the items and services that they provide. These actions are necessary to promote price transparency in health care and public access to hospital standard charges. By disclosing hospital standard charges, we believe the public (including patients, employers, clinicians, and other third parties) will have the information necessary to make more informed decisions about their care.

Therefore, we proposed that hospitals make public their standard charges in two ways: (1) A comprehensive machine-readable file that makes public all standard charge information for all hospital items and services (84 FR 39581 through 39585), and (2) a consumer-friendly display of common “shoppable” services derived from the machine-readable file (84 FR 39585 through 39591)..
"

So, I am looking for an online location where these files, released by hospitals would be stored/available for public. This is base for a Chargemaster, I believe. Could anyone point me to such links/file location(s)? This would be a great help. Thank you.

On each hospital's website.

The information will not be formatted like a full chargemaster though. A chargemaster includes internal information like department numbers and charge codes - information that wouldn't be relevant to the public.

The machine readable files are standardized lists of prices.

Last edited: