• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

hospital fu

JHCARR

Best answers
Dr A visited the pt in the hospital. Pt had chest pain. He dicided a cath was need
with poss stent. Review Risks and Benefits with the pt.
Dr B Did the Cath.
Dr C did the Stent.

All are in the same practice. Dr A saw the pt as a hospital fu and decision was made
to do a cath based on that visit.

Can I code Dr A hospital visit and what modifer could I use... 25 0r 57

I feel he should not lose this Hospital sub visit.

Thank you for your help

Jess1125

Expert
Best answers
Dr A visited the pt in the hospital. Pt had chest pain. He dicided a cath was need
with poss stent. Review Risks and Benefits with the pt.
Dr B Did the Cath.
Dr C did the Stent.

All are in the same practice. Dr A saw the pt as a hospital fu and decision was made
to do a cath based on that visit.

Can I code Dr A hospital visit and what modifer could I use... 25 0r 57

I feel he should not lose this Hospital sub visit.

Thank you for your help
From the situation you describe I feel Dr. A can bill for his visit separately. A -25 modifier would be appropriate because cath/stenting has a "0" day global. -57 modifier is reserved for the procedures with a 90 day global.

Jessica CPC, CCC

JHCARR

Best answers
hOSPITAL fu

That is what I was thinking as well. I did not think the 57 modifer fit this,
and did not want him to lose the hospital visit since the decision was made on
the sub visit.

Thank you for your help.

Janice