Wiki Hospital patients being brought to office?

Rgreen0118

Best answers
Our doctor is bringing some patients to the office from the hospital via wheelchair(our office is connected to the hospital, but we are not employed by the hospital) for consults ordered by other doctors.

He is trying to save the time of going to the hospital by bringing the patient over to our office to see them.

I know that I cannot bill them out as "place of service" = office because it will deny. He is doing the dictation over at the hospital as if he saw them there.

Can I bill this out as under place of service "hospital" and cpt codes 99251-99255 even though he saw them in the office?

Is this wrong?

We have two hospitals in our area, ours and another. Our hospital has a pediatric cardiologist whereas the other one does not. When premie patients are born at the other hospital and thought to have a cardiac problem they are tranferred here via ambulance for our cardiologist to evaluate them since he does not have a contract with the other hospital. Even though they are inpatient at the other hospital we do our billing as outpatient for physician's and facility. I bill for the physician's and questioned this scenario since i thought it should be inpatient and our facility compliance department explained to me that it would be just as if a patient were sent somewhere's for an outpatient MRI. I am not sure how the facility was affected by this but our E/M charges were paid and never denied. Hope this helps.

If place of service is office, you must code office. Only time you could code inpatient is if it is considered an outpatient department (POS = 22).

Sorry i don't remember if we billed it as outpatient or office. We are a physician's billing company and i no longer work there but i do know that it was not inpatient and as i stated earlier i'm not too sure about the facility side of it but i know they weren't billing as inpatient either.